Monday, March 21, 2011

The Cleveland International Film Festival Presents: Aardvark


Many Clevelanders are looking forward to the 35th Annual Cleveland International Film Festival this week, myself included. I'm curious to hear how you all plan on viewing films- are you buying tickets individually, in a six pack, or are you splurging for a pass? What films are you intending on seeing? I haven't broken down my full film list yet, but one movie I will definitely be seeing is Aardvark.

Aardvark is a film that is written and directed by native Clevelander, Kitao Sukurai. The film in its entirety is filmed in Cleveland and is fully casted by Clevelanders. So if you are looking to see one film, I would say this has to be it. It will fulfill any cultural and city pride requirements you may be looking for. The story itself is based on fact and one of true perseverance, and the only narrative film to star a blind man to date. Directly from the press release is a brief synopsis:

AARDVARK is the first narrative film to star a person blind since birth. The idea for the film began when Kitao Sakurai – now living in New York – visited the Evolution Jiu-Jitsu academy (evolutionjj.com) in Cleveland Heights, run by childhood friend Darren Branch. There, Sakurai met Larry Lewis Jr., a congenitally blind man who was training Jiu-Jitsu at Darren’s academy. Inspired by Larry’s use of Jiu-Jitsu to overcome his dark and troubled past, Kitao asked Larry and Darren to act out their lives – including the origin of their friendship – in front of the camera. What makes AARDVARK unique is where the movie goes from there: beginning as a documentary reenactment, AARDVARK slowly transforms into an entirely fictional neo-noir thriller that follows Larry as he embarks on a dark quest for vengeance. Aardvark blurs the lines between documentary and fiction in a startling and entirely unexpected way.

The Cleveland premiere of AARDVARK will take place at 8:30pm on Friday, March 25th. www.clevelandfilm.org I look forward to seeing you all there. *Tickets are on standby but will be available for purchase at the theater before the show.

Full disclosure- I am a friend of the Director.

2 comments:

Modern Musings said...

I love myself some full disclosure. And supporting CLE directors and actors! Thanks for the reccomendation, I'll be sure to check this one out.

darrell said...

I found parts of this film very difficult to watch. It was very disturbing for me.

In the sprit of full disclosure, I am Darren's dad.