Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Turnstyle: The Honor System

I love public transportation. I hate driving cars and am admittedly the worst driver EVER. Therefore, I can attest to the awesome public transit systems I've rocked in every city I've lived in (Chicago, Rome, and Seoul) I never had a car in any of these cities so I HAD to rely on public transportation. I love taking the subway whenever I'm in NYC and actually prefer it to cabs. So the question I raise here is this- how can public transportation be successful in Cleveland if we work on the honor system when it comes to buying ride fares?

This isn't meant to be rhetorical- I'm really wondering why there is a lack of turn styles operating at the Ohio City and Airport stops (I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I often use) I can't imagine everyone is being honest when riding the rapid. I always am, but have to admit *sometimes* I want to just jump on and save the $2.25, because really- whats the point if no one else is paying?

I do pay because I know what a huge expense public transit is and I know I don't deserve a 'free ride' but why aren't the fares enforced? Isn't the GCRTA losing tons of money by not installing turn styles for fare cards? Do you ride public transit? What are your thoughts on the issue?

*To be clear, I'm not knocking GCRTA, I just want them to be the best they can be- that way we all win!

1 comment:

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

I read a story on crime somewhere, and they said on public transportation if they didn't allow graffiti or people to cheat and not pay it greatly reduced other crimes. It caused people to realize if they get punished for these smaller crimes and bigger crime was a bad idea. Just my thoughts.